STOP! NEW PROCESS, Please read! ALL candidates for employment must complete and submit an ONLINE APPLICATION. Once you have submitted the application, please review the list of Current Vacancies and use the contact information located within the "Details" tab to express your interest.
Requirements for Employment

How do I become a substitute teacher?

The Weldon City Schools System requires that anyone interested in becoming a substitute teacher complete Effective Teacher Training for Substitutes prior to becoming a substitute teacher. This training is offered through Halifax Community College at various intervals throughout the year.You may contact Halifax Community College to get more information regarding this class or you can view the web page at

We will also accept a certificate stating that you have completed the Early Childhood Program at HCC or any other accredited college or university in lieu of the Effective Teacher Training. If you have a teaching certificate whether current or expired, you may submit this also, in lieu of the Effective Teacher Training. Once the HR department schedules its annual substitute training, an announcement will be placed in the local newspaper as well as at each of the schools in the WCS district. Upon completion of this training and approval by the board you will be notified by the HR department by mail and an updated substitute list containing your information will be forwarded to the schools.

IMPORTANT: Once approved as a substitute within the WCS district you will remain an active sub who will work on an as needed bases.  However, if contacted to substitute within WCS, you must sub at least once within a six (6) month period or your name will be removed from the sub list.You will be required to attend the next substitute training in order to be reinstated.

The substitute teacher process: Complete the on-line application classified
Attend Effective Teacher Training through Halifax Community College

Present Early Childhood Program Certificate


Present teacher certificate (current or expired)


Attend WCS Substitute Training.

How do I become eligible for employment?

Applicants must meet any minimum requirements specified in the job description in order to be considered. Licensed employees must hold, or be eligible for, the necessary certification as required by North Carolina's Department of Public Instruction. Teacher Assistant candidates must meet the federal definition of highly qualified (HQ) under the federal No Child Left Behind law. See below to find out what it takes for someone to be HQ in our District.

Teacher Assistant/EC Assistant Qualifications under NCLB

48 hours of transferable credit from an accredited college/university

- OR -
Associates Degree or higher from an accredited college/university

- OR -
College degree from an accredited college/university

I am interested in driving a School Bus for WCS. What is required?

The first step is to complete an on-line classified application. Click here to access the application. Attend the scheduled Halifax County Schools bus driver training. Applicants must also complete a drug test. For upcoming training dates, please call 252-583-2381. Candidates must successfully complete drivers training and drug screening prior to being hired.The transportation director interviews candidates, and will select those who are a good fit for WCS schools. Please see The Interview and Employment Process, below, for more information about how candidates are selected for open positions.

Tell me about licensure.

Applicants are responsible for obtaining a North Carolina teacher's license and filing it with the Human Resources office. Applicants still in teacher training should check with their college education department concerning licensure. Out-of-state applicants should contact the Division of Teacher Licensure, 301 North Wilmington Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27611, phone 919-807-3300. This information may be found online.

Are transcripts required?

Transcripts are not required to apply. However, lateral entry applicants must provide a copy of your transcripts for the interview. Official transcripts are REQUIRED after a formal offer of employment is made to licensed employees, as well as classified employees who must be HQ (see above). Please order an official set of transcripts (for any degrees earned related to your area of interest) and have them sent DIRECTLY TO YOU and immediately forward to HR.You should always keep a copy of your transcripts for your records.

Do I need to include references?

Yes. Your application should include the name, position, complete mailing address, and work and home phone numbers of at least three references, such as principals and supervisors, who have first hand knowledge of your professional preparation and competence. At least one reference must be from a supervisor. References from relatives are not accepted nor are references from friends who have not observed you in a work capacity.

Interested in teaching, but have a Bachelors Degree unrelated to education?

If you are interested in enriching the lives of children and sharing your expertise with the students of WCS, then North Carolina provides an alternate route to teaching; Lateral Entry. View a helpful guide to the lateral entry process: Qualifications for Lateral Entry.

Download a chart that explains what is required for lateral entry in North Carolina. (PDF)

Download a chart that explains what is required for lateral entry for EC in North Carolina (28k - PDF)

To apply directly to the RALC, access the following overview for prospective teachers.

Access another page that is designed for teachers already employed, but may be useful to you as a prospective lateral entry teacher, because it provides detailed information about the entire process: Currently employed teachers interested in Lateral Entry.

Praxis teacher tests may be required. Access NC state requirements for Praxis.

In North Carolina, the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is the governing body for licensure. DPI issues all teacher licenses, evaluates experience for salary credit, manages the NC online application system, and
The Interview and Employment Process
  • How does an open position get filled?
    When vacancies occur (for ALL positions, teacher and non-teacher),human resources uses the NC state online application system to select applicants for interviews. It is essential that you apply online FIRST, so that principals can access your information.     Apply online.
  • What happens after an interview?
    After interviewing candidates, the principal and his/her interview team make a recommendation to Human Resources. Offers of employment are extended only from Human Resources. The applicant, upon accepting the offer, is scheduled for New Employee Orientation. (See below for detailed information about what this is). A drug test is also required for safety sensitive positions, such as Bus Driver. For licensed employees, a contract is issued and signed, upon approval of the Board of Education.
  • What is covered during New Employee Orientation?
    Every employer has some form of new hire/re-hire orientation. This is a time where Human Resources assists you with: answering any outstanding questions you may have about working at WCS; completion of paperwork that is required for employment; highlighting some of the great benefits of working here; and understanding some important policies, so that you feel adequately prepared to begin your new position. It is definitely a lot of paperwork, as with all companies, but we assure you each document is essential to ensure compliance with applicable laws and board policies.

    To make sure this orientation flows quickly and smoothly, we ask that any new hire/re-hire fill out the required documents PRIOR to the session.

    LICENSED EMPLOYEES: Download Licensed Employee New Employee Orientation Forms.

    Download Classified Employee New Employee Orientation Forms.

    Download Bus Driver New Employee Orientation Forms.

    Download Substitute Teacher New Employee Orientation Forms.

After reviewing the above information, should you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to email Human Resources at

You may contact Weldon City Schools Human Resources by
telephone (252-536-4821), by e-mailing Human Resources,
or by writing the Human Resources office at:
Human Resources
Weldon City Schools
301 Mulberry Street
Weldon, NC 27890